Happy Thursday!
I hope everyone enjoyed their half day yesterday. Sorry I did not get a blog up and going yesterday, with the short day and then meetings all day, I just did not have much time:).
Today was filled with much excitement. We began our day celebrating Mass. We then had group pictures all morning. The day culminated with investigating the difference between animal and plant cells. We looked at specimens of each under the microscope. The class was so excited to use a microscope! Wish you could have seen their faces. FYI, next week we will be dissecting earthworms and looking at them under the microscope. Fun times in 5th grade:)
We will be doing Valentines for our party next week. If your child would like to make Valentines it is fine, they do not have to do this of course. Some of them have been asking me if they could. My only rule is that if they want to give Valentines, they must make one for everyone. I will be sending a class list home in the Friday folder tomorrow.
NEW INFORMATION: We will begin our Latin roots vocabulary lessons this week. I will be teaching the vocabulary each day, these grades will be seen in Mrs. Thomas' grade book for Language Arts. There will be formative and summative assessments involved as well as homework. For those who have been here in previous years, you should be familiar with this. For those of you new to SMA, this may take some adjustment, please don't stress at first. Tests will most likely happen on Thursday's once we get a routine established. I will be posting the transparencies we use in class on edmodo to assist the students when they study for tests and for homework.
Science Fair: Please be on the lookout for information regarding Science Fair! This will be out tomorrow on edmodo. I encourage you to have your students move the materials on edmodo into their backpacks on edmodo in order to find all the forms more easily.
Homework: Literature - read 30 minutes, post reading logs tonight
Write down a TV show you watched, write 3 sentences about the show and then make 3 inferences about the show.
Math: SS 1 and 2 due tomorrow
workbk
Science: finish diagrams of cells observed in color, write description of what observed
Test over energy tomorrow if you did not finish this in class.
Religion: test tomorrow
Social Studies: finish reading p. 173-177 and answer questions 1-4 on pg. 177 if you did not finish it in class
***Don't forget our Passion of Christ/Living Stations play is coming. We will begin practice on Ash Wednesday by choosing parts. If you know you will not be here on Good Friday (Friday prior to beginning of Spring Break) please let your children know so that they do not sign up for a part in the play. They will have other jobs they can do, like set design, costumes, etc.. But they will not be able to hold an actual part. With that being said I want to thank all the girls who tried out for the part of Mary. Everyone did a great job. It came down to a tie breaker between Emma DeSensi and Mary Favier. They were both excellent! The understudy will be Mary with Emma DeSensi being Mary. I am so proud of these two girls and how well they can sing. I can't wait for you to see the performance this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment